Tuesday 12 February 2013

First ililc successes...

So today I tried out 2 ideas from the weekend, one planned, one not, both a storming success.

Tarsia puzzle
Amazingly I remembered all the steps to add and format text, and created a puzzle for my adult learners (1 year of learning) to introduce whizzy opinion vocab related to TV. Most of it was new, but it was very cognate rich language. They were engrossed in the task, using lots of reading strategies to match up, and I did as Clare (@Vallesco) suggested and gave them an accompanying table with some of the answers blanked out to fill in as they went. Worked really well, can't wait to try my differentiated version with y12 now.

Karate Maths
With my beginner adult ed class tonight, we were learning time, and doing a bit of number revision first. I tried more Clare ideas here (turning into a proper groupie!) e.g. I say a number, you say the one above/below, it provoked some really deep thinking! They told me I was being mean for such a late hour, so I said 'could have been worse, I could have made you do karate maths!'... well, there was a gauntlet laid down!

for those who don't know, Karate maths goes as follows, as taught by Jo (@jowinchester I now know)
1) Adopt ninja stance, look threateningly at your class/opponent.
2) Say a number in the TL (in a voice to match the look in your eyes!)
3) Say plus (and make arms into plus sign), moins (draw a line in front of you), fois (make an x with your arms) or divise (sorry no accent) par, hold left forearm horizontally in front of face and 'punch' above and below to make a divided by symbol. The voice has to be suitably ninja-esque throughout.
5) Finally, lay forearms on top of each other and say 'egal'

Partner/class has to offer the answer in TL.

Soooooo much fun, I never in a million years would have believed my adult class would have loved it so much... age range 20s - 60s!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment